Saturday, November 17, 2007

the depth of disappointment or the rise of histrionic

I tried to figure out if the ring would actually look like its flying to the foreground. I distorted the way the ring would appear when flying in front of the cube. I added a car two to see if it would look a little bit as if it would roll on the second shape.


Here's the original file:





and here's the projection:




I tried out if a smaller shape would decrease the non illusion of depth. Also the wall and the shape should have similar colours.




Maybe I should rename the title of my work to “In search of depth. A never starting journey.”

What I wonder is, why I always loose the interest in things so fast. Even if they really kicked me in the first instance. It always happens that, as soon as the first experiments don't turn out the way I imagined I loose motivation in continuing. Of course that's what happens all the time, but shouldn't you usually, even if something doesn't work, still have the will/passion to go on? It makes me wonder how much I'm convinced/positive about my own ideas.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You must hold on to your belief in what you're doing. I have total confidence that your work will turn out well and that if you keep on pursuing the ideas you are working on you will find a way through things.
I think the experiment with the ring shown in the first video could be very useful. Now that you have modeled the effects of projecting in 3D space try correcting the shape of the circle in the simulation so that when it passes over the (virtual) cube it doesn't warp. Then take the cube away from the simulation but leave the circle dimensions as they are and observe how the changes to íts shape look when it is not passing over the warping object. That should then be the shape of the circle that you would need to project onto a real cube of the same dimensions for it to not be affected by the projection warping. Make sense?
Ben.